The appeal to the Church of Scotland for a missionary and an educationist, brought forth REV. JOHN ANDERSON to Madras on Feb 22nd 1837. He initiated the move, for the school to a better placed two storied house at Armenian St. in George Town. The school started functioning from April 3rd 1837 and was renamed ‘Madras General Assembly’s School’. Anderson sacrificed much for the building of this institution , carried out several bold academic reforms and also opened education for the oppressed sections of the society.