Great institutions and movements are often conceived by the concern of some men of vision for a noble cause and these institutions reach excellence to find a permanent place in the history of humanity. One such institution that has served humanity in the field of education for a hundred and seventy five years, with unflagging zeal, is the Madras Christian College Higher Secondary School.
The credit of having brought western education to Madras goes to the church of Scotland. Two Chaplains – Rev. James Laurie and Rev. Mathew Bowce who had come to serve the congregation at St. Andrew’s Kirk, Egmore opened a school on Roundall’s Road in June 1835.