A Brief History of the School
Church of Scotland Missionaries start a school in 1835
June 1, 1835
Great institutions and movements are often conceived by the concern of some men of vision for a noble cause and these institutions reach excellence to find a permanent place in the history of humanity. One such institution that has served humanity in the field of education for a hundred and seventy five years, with unflagging…
Madras General Assembly School
February 22, 1837
The appeal to the Church of Scotland for a missionary and an educationist, brought forth REV. JOHN ANDERSON to Madras on Feb 22nd 1837. He initiated the move, for the school to a better placed two storied house at Armenian St. in George Town. The school started functioning from April 3rd 1837 and was renamed ‘Madras…
The School moves to Sailor’s home in Esplanade
June 1, 1846
In 1846 the school moved to a renovated building called SAILOR’S HOME IN ESPLANADE.
Rev. William Miller arrives
June 2, 1862
REV. WILLIAM MILLER took over in 1862 and was destined to become the greatest architect of the school. The School which until then was going through rough weather got upgraded into a college.
Madras Christian College
June 4, 1877
In 1877, the school got its present name “MADRAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE”. The school grew so much in strength and reputation, as to never lose them again. The curriculum was updated and made more comprehensive.
Mr. Kuruvilla Jacob takes over as the first Indian Headmaster
June 1, 1931
Mr. Kuruvilla Jacob took over as the first Indian Headmaster of the School in 1931. He was also the youngest to be appointed Headmaster.
The School moves to Chetput in 1950
June 5, 1950
As the school made progress and earned a reputation for its curriculum and approach to education, it became clear that it needed to move to a quieter and larger place. The search for a place intensified under the leadership of Shri Kuruvilla Jacob, and Napier Gardens in Chetput was identified as the perfect location. The…
May 6, 1962
In 1962 MR. MATTHIAS took over as Headmaster. He formed the first Parent Teacher Association. With the help of the association and other friends Mr. Matthias added the seventh standard block, equipped the laboratories and started new programmes.
Mr. E.D. Savarirayan
May 6, 1967
In 1967 Mr. E.D. Savarirayan succeeded Mr. Mathias as Headmaster of the school. He re-affirmed the spiritual dimension of education more than most of his predecessors.Nevertheless, his spirituality did not with hold him from a commendable effort,which he made to improve the financial position of the school.At last,he succeeded in adding to the school the…
Dr. Clement J.Felix
May 6, 1973
Dr. Clement Felix became the Headmaster in 1973. His public contacts were wide enough and he harnessed their good will and support for the school and its expanding programmes.soon the school registered an all time high in every sphere in strength on rolls,monetary reserves,curricular and building projects,results at examinations,sports and games. He started a number…
Dr. A. Jefferson Christopher
June 5, 1992
Dr. A. Jefferson Christopher succeeded him as the Headmaster in 1992. Untiring and unstinting in the efforts to upgrade the institution to the changing times, he set up a computer laboratory, Junior Science lab and Basket ball Court and was also instrumental in the construction of the compound wall along the railway track behind the…
May 6, 2006
Descended from the lines of such illustrious predecessors, is Dr. G.J.Manohar who took over as the Headmaster and Correspondent in the year 2006. He has proved to be an able, dynamic and an energetic person with a great vision to build the school to reach glories. He started the nursery and primary sections and constructed…